7 Random Things About Me

After reading the blog of the wife of a friend of mine from high school, I was greatly inspired to get back into the blogging spirit by posting 7 random facts about me.

1. 90% of the time, I go to bed with a large black dog in the bed with me. Cash is our lab/weimeraner mix and has been in our family for almost 2 years. He was a gift from a student at Robert E. Cashion Elementary School the Christmas after our first dog was run over and devastated me. Cash weighs about 80 pounds and he doesn't sleep at the foot of the bed. Once he jumps in the bed, he proceeds to stretch himself out lengthwise right up against me. This usually results in me hanging off the bed and hollering for Cheney to come get the dog.

2. I'd much rather wear flip-flops than high heels - much to the shagrin of my 4 year old neice. Sophie only wears flip flops and high heels and hates tennis shoes - she's so much like her mommy and NOT her Auntie. Over the course of the last 5 years (after moving from the west coast) flip flops are my footwear of choice. As a result, my foot has widened significantly and now I feel confined in regular shoes. I dread the day that it finally becomes to cold to wear flip-flops. I have to squeeze my feet into normal shoes and I'm uncomfortable most of the day. Therefore, in my classroom, you don't have to wear shoes, because most of the time, I don't.

3. My guilty pleasure is watching Days of Our Lives. Yes, I know it's smut television and I really shouldn't watch it, but I've been watching it since I was in middle school. I remember vividly the day that Isabella (John Black's wife) died. I watched it with my mom and we both cried our eyes out.

4. I never liked coffee until I moved to Alaska. Now, it is a necessity. When I was growing up, my brother was the coffee drinker. On the weekends my mom would make "coffee milk" and let us have it, but I didn't care for it much. One Sunday after church we came home and Larry picked up his cup of coffee to enjoy 4 hours later and instead drank "coffee fly milk." I didn't drink it again until I moved to Juneau after I was married. Due to the serious cold weather I had to find a way to warm up and thanks to Elaine Canary, a dear Juneau friend, a life time habit was born. Now, every morning I brew a full pot in my classroom. I may only drink a cup or two, but I enjoy the smell. My coffee of choice is more like the "coffee milk" of my youth - lots of creamer and sugar. I've recently made the move to sugar free creamer and Splenda. Although not as rich and creamy as I like, it's not bad.

5. I can walk faster than I can run. This has been a recent development in my life, but I can speed walk. It started out as a stupid episode while walking the dogs in the back field, I think, and now it ellicits a laugh from Cheney, so I do it more often. However, when walking a Jack Russell, take great care or wait until he is off in the distance. Cheney and I were speed walk racing (yes, I know that we are the only ones that do this) and Taku, our JR, decided to join the event. He proceeded to entwine himself in my feet and I tumbled head over heels and came to a screeching halt on the ground.

6. I love teen movies like Mean Girls, Hillary Duff movies, etc. I guess primarily because they are cleaner than the alternatives, but not as childish as animated. Although animated movies have come a long way. Cheney hates it when I watch them, so I usually watch them on Saturday mornings.

7. Funnel Cakes are the best fair food ever - next to corn dogs, roasted corn, caramel apples, and hot Fischer scones. Anytime there is a funnel cake booth around, I'll be in line. The whole reason I went to the Puyallup Fair when we lived in Washington was the food. It can't be beat. I think the first time I had one was at the Broadmoor Craft Festival in Baton Rouge, La. Ever since then, I've been obssessed with them. I guess they are sort of like beignets - fried dough and powdered sugar. Gotta love 'em and since I can't get beignets in Greenville, SC, funnel cakes are the next best thing.

Comments