There Will Come A Day


Living away from family has its ups and its downs. For me, I know that moving away right after Cheney and I were married was the best decision for us. It allowed us to become dependent on one another and really become one as a couple. It forced us to work through difficulties instead of calling my mom or friends.

Moving away has provided many opportunities for me to live in beautiful places that I may not have experienced otherwise. There are few places that compare to the beauty of Alaska and Washington.

And I wouldn't trade it for anything.

However, there are moments when I crave to be in the place I grew up. This week, I finished reading a set of books that took place in Louisiana. Rebecca Wells, author of The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, has captured a place in my being. The conversations between characters that was laced with spicy Cajun French - chere, fille, bebe, couchon de lait, beignet, etc. Made me miss the familiar sayings of my childhood and the moments spent with the Cavalier side of the family. After reading all 4 of her books, I longed to hold my little nieces close to me for I know there will come a day when they will not want to be with their Auntie.

I miss those smiling faces more than I miss my Momma. Their hugs are the sweeter than the pralines that are sprinkled in family holiday gatherings. Their kisses are as rich as the red velvet cake that Uncle Douglas is known for. To hear them say "Auntie" is music to my ears. I hate that I have to spend time away from them and I'm not able to visit as often as my heart desires. For now, I hope they know how much I love and cherish them.

Comments