On the First Day of Christmas...

This weekend was the grand entrance for the Christmas season. For some reason, I've had a little bit of a struggle getting in the spirit this year. It seems as if it has secretly arrived. This year has flown by and I'm not sure I'm ready for it to make it's exit. So, in an effort to be more festy (Cheney's grandmother created this word a few Christmas seasons back during a game of Scrabble), Cheney and I embraced all things holidayish.

1. Drink hot chocolate EVERY night this weekend. This could also be because it is stinking cold outside. Any minute it is supposed to start snowing, but nothing yet, other than freezing temps.

2. Watch "White Christmas." My all time favorite Christmas movie. Rosemary Clooney and Bing Crosby are quite a pair. Hollywood is missing the boat on creating classics like this. I've also DVRd all of the upcoming classics - "It's A Wonderful Life" (Shh, don't tell anyone, but I've never watched it in its entirety), "Miracle on 34th Street" (the original), and "The Christmas Story."

3. The Festival of Trees. Each year, the Hyatt Regency in town creates a spectacular display of Christmas trees that have been decorated by charities and schools in the town. Our school decorated one in the theme of "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas." It was amazingly grinchy! We then walked downtown for a bit and hit Mast General Store for a little wholesome goodness.

4. Tree decorating. It wasn't mine, but my MIL. Cheney and I went to visit and begin the decorating festivities. We enjoyed going through all of the ornaments and decor that she has collected over the last 40 or so years. There were lots of vintage ornaments from Cheney's childhood that I remember seeing on our own tree.

I'm now ready to get our tree and begin decorating our own house. I've already devised a plan for next year to create some sort of decoration each month. Hopefully, I'll be able to do this with the use of my sewing machine. We'll see!

Comments