30 Days of Thankful - Day 1

As we embark on Thanksgiving (don't you love the word embark?? I've used it all day), I'm not ready to see Christmas decorations yet.  I think over the past few years, Thanksgiving has become a holiday that is sadly mistaken for the kickoff of the Christmas season.  Focus is on the sale papers that arrive Thanksgiving morning or the Macy's Christmas Parade.  Don't get me wrong - I enjoy those two things as well.  I count down to Black Friday, map out my attack, put the Christmas tree up early, and make out my own Christmas list. I am guilty of not stopping and being grateful, of wanting more than I have, of not being satisfied. This year , I want to focus on the things for which I am most thankful.  Enter the 30 Days of Thankful Project. Each day, I'll write about one thing that I am most thankful.

#1 - My marriage



Cheney and I have been married for 13 1/2 years.  Longer than many of our friends.  I am most thankful for forgiveness in my marriage.  Sure, we've had our rough patches, but at the end of the day, my life is so much richer with Cheney in it.  We've traveled the US, lived in a few amazing places - Alaska and Seattle, experienced trials and victories.  We've weathered some of the most difficult losses and watched when our dreams have become shattered.  We've been persecuted, questioned, judged, respected, and honored in those 13 years.  But more importantly, we've been blessed with each other.

14 1/2 years ago, Cheney asked if I would marry him.  13 1/2 years ago, we said, "I do."

And it is still the best decision I've ever made.

Comments

Shonda said…
That is so awesome, Shasta! I love my husband more now too especially through everything we have been through. I'm looking forward to your thankful series!
grammys heart said…
You brought tears to my eyes today. Good tears. I know in the next few days as I read your posts I'll find my gratitude going up. Keep on writing no matter who the devil uses to stop you. You've got something good.

Mom