Instant Gratification vs. Delayed Satisfaction

I've driven the same reliable car since 2000. Our Mitsubishi Galant was the first major purchase of our marriage.  Over the last 11 years, we have driven it EVERYWHERE!  It has made the trek to and from Alaska, made a cross country road trip from coast to coast twice, and made its way to places in between.  It has seen us through a slew of mountain top memories and down in the depths tragedies.  It has witnessed many conversations of dreams and goals and has been the venue for the gathering of friends.  It lost hubcaps in Louisiana and Alabama and was an afternoon snack for Mr. Cash when he decided my gas door looked better than anything else.  After 190,000 miles, it made it's way to the shop for the first time this year.  It's been a good car.  The best thing about it is the fact that it has been paid for for a few years now.  But, it was time to replace it with a new member of the family.

Cheney and I have spent countless hours looking at cars, researching cars, dreaming of cars over the past 2 years.  We knew that we would need to purchase something in the next year or so.  I started with a small list that was sensible - a Subaru Outback wagon or something similar.  Cheney was looking at trucks and SUVs that would be comfortable to travel in when we make the trip to Louisiana.  Then my list changed.  I decided that for once in my life, I wanted a sportscar. It became a Mini Cooper, a Volkswagen GTI, or the new Beetle. I really wanted a convertible, but my choices were limited.  Cheney suggested the Mustang, but I didn't want that because I thought it was a "boys' car."  Ridiculous, yes.  We could not agree.  What I liked, Cheney didn't fit into or looked quite odd.  What he liked was too big for me.

We started looking for a car in the early part of December.  The first one we looked at was an Audi A3.  I loved the idea of a sporty hatchback.  I had always liked the look of the Audi line and was excited to go and drive one.  As soon as we got in it though, I knew it wasn't the car for us.  The seats were uncomfortable and there was nothing fancy about it.  It was very basic, albeit fun to drive.  The biggest snafu was that Cheney's feet didn't fit in the pedal area.  The car was definitely designed for a woman to drive or a very small man.  The pedals were too close together. I left the dealership disappointed.

We looked at cars online for the next three days, talked cars, ate cars.  i got to the point where I didn't want to hear about a car anymore.  So imagine my surprise when I woke up one morning and Cheney told me that he had a car sent in to CarMax.  I was even more surprised when he told me what that car was.  I didn't believe him at first.  And then, I had to wait 3 days for it to arrive before we could go and drive it.  My dear husband brought in a dream car for me - a red Mazda MX-5 convertible.  Not only was it my favorite color, but it was a convertible.  I was ecstatic!

After looking at it, driving it, and discussing it for all of 3 seconds. We signed on the dotted line and became the owners of a beautiful convertible sports car.  Thank you so much Cheney Looper!  You are the BEST husband in the world.

Meet Rosie.


Comments