30 Things #3: Describe Your Relationship with Your Parents

I will forever be my parents little girl, but since getting married 14 years ago, our relationship has grown to one of equality.

Growing up, I was raised to respect my parents in all things and to do what I was told.  This was not any different than any of my friends bringing up, so I complied.  There were not any rebellions staged by me because I didn't like the system, it was what it was and I didn't think anything of it.

My parents were raising me based on Biblical scriptures and principals and were instilling those same values in me.  They were never terribly unreasonable - well maybe in my 13 year old mind over the issue of dancing - but we got along beautifully - and STILL do.

Since being married, I haven't lived near my parents very long.  In 2004 we moved back to Louisiana for 2 years and I loved being close.  Every Saturday was spent with my mom - eating at Chick-Fil-A and venturing out for shopping.  Most Sundays were spent gathered around the dinner table with the whole family.

I talk to my mom almost every day and my dad a few days a week, so it doesn't really feel like we live that far away.  I see them about 3 times a year, wish it was more, but it's not.

I love them and know that all of the decisions that were made when I was growing up, were made with the future in mind.  My experiences have made me who I am today and I will be forever thankful.

So, Mom and Dad, thanks for all that you did to ensure that I would grow into who I have become today.

Comments