You Say Tomato...

I say, "Holy cow quit picking them!"

I have tomatos coming out of my ears!  This spring Cheney and I went to the plant nursery and picked up a flat of tomatoes.  There was a sign that said "12" beside them, so I assumed we had 12 plants.  Well, that was NOT the case.  There were 48 of those bad boys in the flat.  I gave 20 to my students to take home and we planted the others.  I thought, surely some of these will die.  Nope!  They are alive and well and THRIVING!

Each day for the last 2 weeks I've picked AT LEAST 15 tomatoes a day!  We have eaten sliced tomatoes, green salads, tomato sandwiches, tomatoes on EVERYTHING, BLTs, spaghetti sauce, etc.  And I still have tomatoes coming out of my ears!

I stewed 30 tomatoes last week to put in the freezer.  This morning I stewed 30 more only to discover that there were 30 in a box by the fridge.  Cheney came in from work and stopped in the garden to see if there were any more that needed picking and came in with 10.  ARGH!!!  I now have 40 tomatoes sitting in the kitchen waiting for me to do something with them. 

If you have any ideas...please, PLEASE let me know!

Comments

Shonda said…
Totally JEALOUS!! We have NO tomatoes and we use them for everything. Good job on the stewed tomatoes. We make tons pasta sauce, salsa, and stewed tomatoes. You can always freeze them whole and defrost them to make these things at a later date. Google what to do with tomatoes. I'm dying for our tomatoes to come.
Shonda said…
You can find a good tomato soup recipe and can or freeze that. And if you have a dehydrator you can make "sun-dried" tomatoes. We make Italian Eggs. Cook tomatoes in oil until mushy and add italian seasoning and scramble eggs with cheese. Also, you could make up a whole bunch of taco meat and cut in LOTS of tomatoes and use it for filling burritos or taco salad. I'm not sure how a big a freezer you have, but I guess you can give some away too. Hope this gives you some ideas! I can't wait for our tomatoes.
Unknown said…
I've never had it, but I have friends who swear that tomato jam is wonderful. It's not your typical sweet jam, but more of a sweet & savory kind of thing. My understanding is you use like a condiment with meat, with a cheese tray, or even on a toasted baguette (kind of like bruschetta). Anyway, if you're interested you could Google tomato jam & see what you think.